[…] the REAL structure of any good story is simply circular – a descent into the unknown and eventual return – and that any specific descriptions of that process are specific to you and your story.
Here is my detailed description of the steps on the circle. I’m going to get really specific, and I’m not going to bother saying, “there are some exceptions to this” over and over. There are some exceptions to everything, but that’s called style, not structure.
- . You (a character is in a zone of comfort)
- . Need (but they want something)
- . Go (they enter an unfamiliar situation)
- . Search (adapt to it)
- . Find (find what they wanted)
- . Take (pay its price)
- . Return (and go back to where they started)
- . Change (now capable of change)